Sunday, May 15, 2005

Yogyakarta, Indonesia - March 2005

Well, the trip was actually taken in early March, so I don't remember a lot of details anymore. But, it was for sure a fun, exciting and wonderful trip for the whole family; my parents, my sister and her husband, their two boys and us. Had my two other siblings lived in Indonesia, they and their family would all have joined us as well. 
One of the highlights of the trips was a visit to Kraton Yogya.  I had visited this place a couple of times many many moons ago. But coming to this place in my adult life and learning its history and the life of the Sultan's family from a guide in the Kraton was more than a visit to a tourist destination, it was a valuable learning experience and made me appreciate the culture more. There were no other tourists to be seen when we walked around the Kraton complex. So it's nice not to compete with others exploring any rooms and areas that were open. It really felt like we're having a private tour :-)

When touring the Kraton complex I couldn't help but making some comparisons with European palaces like Versailles in France or Nymphenburg in Germany I visited almost two decades ago. Sure, the Kraton doesn't have the dazzling and luxurious feel like Versailles or Nymphenburg palaces, but it still has a royal feel to it. It is a simple, calm and an elegance palace
Other places we visited  *Tamansari (Water castle)*** Prambanan and Candi Sewu***Borobudur Temple*** Kotagede and Batik Tulis Maker* Would love to go back to * Gadjah Wong** Dapur Manado* for their yummy food

No comments: