Thursday, September 9, 2010

Penne pasta with tempe and tomato sauce

As Indonesian, I grew up eating tempeh throughout my life; fried tempeh (tempe goreng), rice flour-battered tempeh (tempe mendoan), stir-fried tempeh (orak arik tempe), marinated tempeh (tempe bacem), tempeh cooked with chilli sauce (sampal tempe) etc.  When I switched to plant-based diet in July, I started using tempeh in my pasta sauce. One of my favorite recipes is this easy and yummy pasta sauce. 


For the pasta:
-Cook as per directions on the package. I 
 used organic, vegan penne. 

For the sauce: 
Adapted from here
- strained tomatoes (I used Pomi)
- onion, chopped
- garlic, minced
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- maple syrup
- apple cider vinegar
- himalayan pink salt
- sambal Oelek
- tempe, cubed (I love Organic flax from Lightlife) 

Directions:
- simmer all ingredients in a pot 
- once it boils, add tempe to the pot
- stir often until the tempe absorbs the sauce and breaks into small pieces 
- pour into the cooked pasta, add fresh spinach and arugula, toss well
- stir in chopped fresh basil


No comments: