Friday, October 8, 2010

French Riviera and Monaco - Part 1

Antibes and Cannes
Greetings from Paris! Writing a quick recap of our weekend from my hotel room before I forget all the details about it. 
What a wonderful time we had this past weekend. My husband and I, my sister, her husband and their adorable children left Bergues early morning on Friday to catch our morning flight from CDG Airport to Nice. As soon as we exited Nice Cote d'Azur Airport, we were greeted by gorgeous weather, perfect blue sky, beautiful beaches - felt like we're at home in California! After we checked into  La Perouse, we headed straight to Antibes, located halfway between Nice and Cannes. 
We enjoyed our walk from the harbor -filled with multi-million dollar yachts- through the old town while snacking some baguettes that hubby bought from a bakery that seemed to be popular amongst locals which turned out to be really good baguettes.


Had a decent lunch at a vegetarian restaurant, Chez Helen (for my husband an me), my sister and her family enjoyed their lunch at a nearby restaurant because their kids couldn't find anything they wanted at Chez Helen. 


A visit to Le Marche Provencal - covered farmers' market in the heart of the Old Town was the highlight of the day for me. Marche Provencal was a fabulous market of local specialities; fresh cheese, olives, fruits, vegetables, honey, potpourri, spices and herbs, etc. 
This gentleman sells the best olive tapenade ever. And it was vegan! He assured me (well he told my niece as I don't speak French) that he wasn't using any animal products in the recipe. The black one especially is to die for! Bought a lot of them (me thinking enjoying it with fresh baguette) in case I can only eat salad when we go to restaurants during our stay in France. 

After a quick trip to see the exterior wall of Musee Picasso, we didn't have the time to explore and to see inside, we left Antibes and continued our drive to Cannes. 
Cannes, here we come! We did what most tourists do; strolling along the Promenade de la Croisette, home to many designer boutiques and run into the Palais des Festivals et des Congres - where the Cannes International Film Festival takes place.
taking some pictures ...

Enjoying the narrow streets of Rue du Suquet and Rue St Antoine in the old quarter
We also walked up the hill around the fortress of old Cannes and enjoying this beautiful and breathtaking panoramic view of Cannes from the top of du Suquet.
After a long walk around Old Cannes, we went to the beach so that my niece and nephew could play a little bit. 

It was already late by the time we arrived back in Nice so we went straight to get some food. Unfortunately finding a table for six on Friday night in Nice proved to be challenging. Every restaurant was packed with people and the wait was long! We ended up eating at Cote Sud, a restaurant with the shortest wait. The food was not good at all. Hence it had the shortest list - I assumed. Oh well. Since we had a really nice time today, our dinner experience will be soon forgotten.

No comments: